Thursday, July 06, 2017

Glorious Fourth
While I’m not big on ostentatious displays of patriotism, I missed the red, white and blue paraphernalia one sees on the Fourth of July.  In addition, I was scheduled to teach.  Because I wanted to mark the day in some way, so I invited some friends to have lunch at KFC, which is very popular in China.
Here, the offerings are spicier than in the US, and buckets of chicken come, not with fries but steamed rice. My friend Lucy Zhang said KFC chicken here tastes better than in the US. I thought the stuff tasted weird.
KFC is a popular for dates, and by Chinese standards, a bit expensive.  My friends let me pick up the tab because I insisted, but did not let me order, fearing I’d be ripped off.  The Chinese negotiate prices even in fast food restaurants.  







1 comment:

Renee' C. Lyons said...

Looks like fries in the center...

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...