Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Sidestepping the wall

Chinese censorship is exceedingly robust.  I am told the Beijing government employs hundreds of censors to read people's email. Sometimes, when I'm over there and writing something controversial, the screen freezes.  It happens to other people, so I don't think I imagine it.

The Google company has refused to aid with this censorship, which is why the Chinese government blocks google searches and gmail.  Yahoo is more cooperative, so I'll be using a yahoo address while in China: roz.gann@yahoo.com  My Gmail will be forwarded to this address, but it's probably best to use the Yahoo address. You can also reach me at my George Mason address,  rgann@gmu.edu

Blogspot is a Google product, so I won't be able to view this blog while I'm in China.  I'll be sending postings to my good friend Dennis Cope, and he'll be managing this website while I'm overseas.  I leave tomorrow afternoon.

Below:  Dennis and his wife Marie






  

No comments:

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...