Monday, March 09, 2015


Morning on the Track  

Up early due to jet lag, I take a walk on the track at North China University of Technology (NCUT), where we are staying.  We arrived here at 10:00 Sunday after a  trip which took about 36 hours all told.  The track at NCUT is a morning meeting place where students and the occasional teacher walk, congregate, and work out on exercise equipment set up by the fence.


    
My skin tone and intermittent picture taking mark me an outsider, and a woman asked me what I was looking for.  Turned out she was a psychology professor interested in learning more English.  Unfortunately, I wasn’t carrying my business cards, something one should always do when traveling in China.  She promised to contact me via email.   

2 comments:

Renee' C. Lyons said...

Our first future student! :-)
Glad the first leg of your trip went well.
Question: Why are the teachers not frequenting the walking path as much? Just the obvious (time), or are there other reasons?

Ryan Nivens said...

Great to see that you all made it safely!

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...