Friday, July 04, 2014

Sudden change

I'm going to spend a few days in Beijing before going on to Weihai, where I'll be teaching at the University of Shandong. I had planned a relaxed time where I'd take walks, practice my Chinese, stay in a budget hotel and visit old friends. I expected to see some people from North China University of Technology in Beijing or NCUT where I'd taught there in the past. I thought we might possibly discuss university exchanges between NCUT and ETSU where I'm on faculty, if people wanted to. On this, I had the blessing of Norma Hogan, my chair, and Angela Lewis, my Dean; nevertheless the trip was unofficial. The plan has changed. Li Jing, who was supposed to pick me up at the airport, contacted me yesterday evening. Personnel at NCUT had learned would be in Beijing, and their international office decided I ought to stay on their campus. My hotel reservation would be cancelled. A university car would be meeting me. The international office will plan my time in Beijing, though though visits with friends will be part of my schedule. I gather that there will be meetings, though I've no idea what the agendas will be. This is turning into a more structured visit than I'd anticipated, but it's very generous of NCUT, and I'm sure I'll have fun. In China, women faculty wear feminine clothing on formal occasions, and sometimes even the nicest slacks will not do. I'd already bought a new dress; today, I went back to the mall and purchased another skirt. Below: North China University of Technology, front gate

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

finally I am able to come to your blog to read your accounts on the stay in China. --- Eddie

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...