Saturday, July 26, 2014



Singing in the Rain

I’ve been getting to know the other teachers on campus.  My friend Lucy, a native of South Africa, teaches in an English camp on campus. I joined her today since my own class is over.  The worst of the typhoon hit while we were watching a movie and eating some Cracker Jacks she’d brought with her from the States. 

English teachers like Lucy are creative about incorporating cultural activities into their curriculum. She had planned for the students to pick up a cake from a bakery and hold a surprise birthday party for two of the older teachers. But there was a typhoon going on with gale force winds and rapidly descending rain.  The campus was covered in ankle deep water.   What could we do?  


The solution was obvious. We taught the thirteen Chinese teenagers "Singing in the Rain," and marched them to a bakery on the other side of campus. We collected a cake, packing its ornate box in a garbage bag, and walked another quarter mile to the hostel just outside campus where we were having the party.  Umbrellas turned inside out, and despite my water repellant Eddie Bauer wind breaker, I was completely soaked.



When we arrived Lucy unpacked some balloons and banners, and we asked the students to decorate for the party. When the guests of honor arrived, we shouted “Surprise!” and sang the Happy Birthday song in Chinese and English.  Then, we taught them to play "Pin the Tail on the Donkey," and encouraged the students to stay off their cell phones.  I had lunch with the other teachers, later on, several of whom I had not met before. 




It was time to go home.  My new friends’ hostel is about a half mile from the one where I’m staying, and they gave me directions. But the gate to the university was locked. I imagine someone in charge had done this to discourage students from exiting during the storm.  The winds had died down a little, but the rain was still heavy, and the water up to my calves.  But this, after all, is summer, and the rain was not very cold.  My hundred per cent woolen socks were kept my feet pretty comfortable, but my body was drenched.  And I was lost.


I returned to the hostel, but I did not remember which rooms they were staying in, and none were downstairs.  The staff spoke no English.  When, in my minimal Chinese, I asked how to get to Shandong University, they directed me to the locked gate.  Somehow, I made it clear that this course of action was not productive.  Overhearing  the conversation,  a guest who spoke minimal English,  inquired what faculty I was on and started directing me to the English building, about a half mile from where I am living.  I made no further attempt to speak in Chinese.

 “I don’t have class!” I shrieked. “There’s a typhoon.”   I explained I lived by the West gate of campus, right near the beach.

At this, my would-be helper brightened and directed me to a pathway.  If I turned right, she said, I could get to the beach and find my way home from there.  Unsure if these directions would work, I walked for blocks. A river of rainwater flowed through the street, and I was becoming chilled. But then, I sighted the ocean.



It was another quarter mile more to the guest house.  As I walked through the West gate, a university guard was waving.  I got home, peeled off my clothes, and took a hot shower.


1 comment:

Bina Simon said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
skip bins rocklea
skip bin hire brisbane

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...