Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Is that stuff food?


At Li Jing’s home, I was served pig’s feet and cucumbers with lichen.  My friend’s mother-in-law was stunned to see me eating with chopsticks and also surprised I sampled all dishes served.  Americans are known to be picky.  I admit that eating such delicacies as duck tongues makes me uneasy, but I do it. The only food I refuse is dog meat.
Cultures define food differently; I come from one culture which observes strict dietary laws. But I never practiced them because they limit one’s access to people unlike oneself.  The sharing of food is important in creating connections.


1 comment:

Eddie said...

I hope that it hadn't suffered you a lot, haha!

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...