Tuesday, July 15, 2008

One World, One Dream




















While visiting The North China University of Technology, I learned that my former student and colleague, Mrs. Zhan Fengmei, was helping to conduct oral English training for Olympic Volunteers. These volunteers-- hundreds of them-- are being taught how to utilize English in communication with foreigners.

Joe and I got involved. We attended Mrs. Zhan's class, organized role plays, and discussed American culture. It was heartening to talk with these idealistic young people who dream of a better China, a better world. Not all these students enjoy speaking English, but their enthusiasm for the Olympics carried a long way. We ourselves will be back in the States when the games open, but it was wonderful to make even a small contribution.

Practically speaking, English is functioning as the world's international language, though some would prefer Esperanto. Even so, I do not think English speakers like me are excused from learning the languages of others, and I continue to work away at Chinese.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right about the need and desirability of English speakers learning other languages.

You mentioned Esperanto. Take a look at www.esperanto.net
Esperanto works! I've used it in speech and writing in a dozen countries over recent years.
Indeed, the language has some remarkable practical benefits. Personally, I've made friends around the world through Esperanto that I would never have been able to communicate with otherwise.

Roz Raymond Gann said...

I always appreciate your comments.

I have looked at the website, and it's intriguing. I may try learning Esperanto at some point. I think I would like the Esperanto speaking community.

Thing is... English has spread, not because people want to spread international brotherhood/ sisterhood. Bluntly, people learn English so they can do business. That's why it's required in Chinese schools.

Also... having people learn Esperanto may level the playing field for us Indo-European types. But does it work for the Asians? One professor of linguistics who works in Shandong told me he thought Esperanto was harder than English. He had studied both as a young man. This may have been because English is so ubiquitous, so he had more exposure.

I'd be happy to continue this dialogue.

Bo said...

Roz you look absolutely serene in that picture. You are in your element with those young folks.

Roz Raymond Gann said...

You're right. It was wonderful getting to know those kids and helping them do what they're going to do.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...