Friday, December 28, 2007

Meltdown avoided!
















Our sons pushed off this morning; Emily and Steve leave tomorrow morning after breakfast. There has been no significant meltdown in our family's Christmas this year. My daughter Emily reminds me there is still time. After all, "It's not over 'til the fat lady sings."
All kidding aside, it's been an unusually harmonious holiday, considering what things can be like when our family gets together. Christmas conflict seems to be hard wired into our species. You probably read about the trigenerational murder in Carnation Washington Christmas Eve http://kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=7545487 Our family is not violent; we're much to boring. We're good at hurting each other's feelings, though. Especially at Christmas.

So what was different this time? Families don't change that much or that fast. I think of the celebration which preceded our family's Christmas. We had guests from across the world. Did the universe approve and send us a gift? It's possible. 'Tis the season, after all.

3 comments:

nbta said...

"Did the universe approve and send us a gift?"

I doubt the universe had much to do with this...but maybe God had a part in it. He does nice things for His children.

Roz Raymond Gann said...

I am a believer, as are you. But in this blog, I do not phrase things as I would in my Sunday School class.

Unknown said...

Would you be OK with your children reading this? I am asking because I just imagined me or my parents writing so openly about our feelings for everyone to read and it feels like a really brave step to make. I told you, us Czechs, we do not share feelings so doing something like this would be so hard. But I guess it is better to say it somewhere than not to say it at all.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...