Wednesday, February 14, 2007

They call it re-entry
















I'd read about it, but had never fully expected it. When you've been out of the country awhile, it doesn't look the same on your return. They call it re-entry-- culture shock in reverse. You look around, and the things you see don't match the mental pictures you've been carrying around. I'd looked at, but never truly seen the horse who lives in the pasture less than a mile from my house. I'd walked right by the mugs and ETSU banners in the bookstore. I'd forgotten how questioning and creative students are in the college of education, and how dedicated in-service teachers are to interesting children in books. I didn't remember the energy of our university, nor did I remember the petty irritations.

Above: ETSU banners in the University Bookstore.
Below: Mrs. Loreen Rorex, a student in our ESL endorsement, dresses as a robot to help children relate to a story..

3 comments:

Ruth W. said...

nice to have you back in the blogging world also Roz. Missed you.

quig said...

meeeee tooooooooo

Roz Raymond Gann said...

Thanks folks

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...