Thursday, February 15, 2007

Reentering social life



In China, my idiosyncrasies were attributed to being American. I was not expected to know all the social rules, and was given lots of credit for trying. In this country, I am more in touch with the social awkwardness which has haunted me since high school. It is always easier for me to focus on tasks, harder to navigate appropriate small talk in my own country. I know people notice. My three children say I’m a nerd, which is true, if tactless. The term, which was coined by Dr. Seuss, is defined by The American Heritage Dictionary as follows (second definition):

Nerd: A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept. I have to admit that it fits.

1 comment:

quig said...

you are one heck of a cool nerd!!!

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...