Thursday, December 14, 2006

We wish you a merry Christmas!















I had bought a small Christmas tree for 30 yuen at the Liquin market by the university. I told myself this was for Joe's benefit-- he arrives in five days. Joe really gets into Christmas decoration. He does window treatments and lights, in addition to the tree. I didn't grow up with Christmas and seldom do any decorating at home. But here in China it is different. Looking at the little tree made me feel decidedly better in this season of strong winds and waning light.
Then today, two students came over with a much larger tree and oodles of ornaments (below). I was touched, and besides it was a great basis for an English lesson. I introduced words such as 'hang,' 'decorate,' 'ornament,' and 'electric outlet.' One of the students had never set up a Christmas tree before; the other had only done it at the hotel where he is the head chef. These guys really enjoy Christmas customs. But never mind the biblical meaning of the holiday. They wanted to know who Santa Claus was-- they'd seen his picture and wanted to know what we do Christmas Eve. We read The Night Before Christmas and set the two trees in the window. Then, we sang We Wish You a Merry Christmas.
The students understand Christmas as equivalent to their lunar new year, which occurs in late January or early February. This is China's major festival, a time for family gatherings and giving gifts. With students like these, I find discussions of religion out of place. Better to let people experience the holiday and gradually draw their own conclusions.















2 comments:

Ruth W. said...

Hi Roz..I will truely miss your blogs from China, although I can understand your wanting to come back home. I have learned many things from them, and want to thank you so much for taking this adventure for me. Hope to meet up with you at some point in JC.
MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and Joe.

Roz Raymond Gann said...

Hi Ruth!

I will be continuing the blog throung the "re-entry" phase of the experience-- the time when America is likely to look strange. After that, I'll probably start an "ameriblog" for my Chinese friends, now that the blogs are unblocked.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...