Tuesday, December 12, 2006

O, Christmas Tree















Here in China, the understanding of Christmas is quite unusual. My students understand Christmas to be about reindeer, decorated trees, and Snow White. The Chinese have appropriated the Western customs of hanging lights, decorating trees, and in some cases, giving gifts.
A Christmas tree has been erected in the lobby of the foreign teachers' residence where I live (above). As in America, one sees Christmas trees outside department stores (below).
I guess I'll get to see America's Christmas decorations this year. I am going home on my birthday, December 30th, and I arrive in the States December 31. My revised tickets came today!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

YAY! Roz, now I know your birthday is December 30th. I love birthdays.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...