Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Through many dangers















The office staff is protective of me, sometimes to the point of absurdity. When I asked about a place to get a haircut, everyone agreed this was something I could not do alone. Sandy, one of Barry's assistants was assigned to accompany me. (Her picture is below) It was very nice of her, but I'm sure I could have managed with handsigns and a picture of my hairdo.

We walked to the beauty parlor past on-the-street shoe repairs, a fruit seller, an alley and several carts selling food. Not an upscale neighborhood. I wondered what would happen to me.

The young man who cut my hair was very competent and new all about the style I wear. I don't think he'd ever cut a Westerner's hair before, but he did really well-- at least as good as at home. The cost for a shampoo, cut, and comb out: 68 reminbi-- just over $8.00.

3 comments:

mac said...

A Chinese haircut! One of the bravest things you've done yet. --Michael

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...