Thursday, June 22, 2006

Reverse Sticker Shock

The weather had oppressively hot, and a thunderstorm which hit Nanjing last night provided some relief. The storm struck around dinner time, and seeing how hard it was blowing, I decided I better not go out. In my hotel room, there are no cooking facilities, so I've been eating at inexpensive restaurants. I try to avoid the pricey places with American menus which cater to tourists. These are a rip off. I've also avoided the hotel dining room, which has seemed ritzy and expensive. But last night there was no other choice.

The service was elegant. Beautiful china, hot towels for your fingers, excellent tea. The staff helped me make a selection from the all-Chinese menu with no prices listed. How much would this cost? I resigned myself to being soaked as I dined on a beautifully presented rice, green vegetables and mushrooms, and baked fish. At the end of the dinner, I inhaled deeply, bracing myself for the worst as the check was presented: 29 reminbi-- the equivalent of $3.50. For an elegant meal. Wow!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...