Friday, May 22, 2015

 Excelsior
                  Yesterday, we climbed the Great Wall, perhaps China’s greatest signature landmark.  It was designed as a military installation not a tourist spot, and it’s fairly difficult to climb due to its uneven surfaces. While there are steps built into the stone they are uneven, and at times the climb is sheer.  I’d done it before  in 2006 and 2007 when I was younger but not as fit.  Frankly, I didn’t know if I was still capable.  I’d brought along clunky hiking boots just for this purpose, and I’d brought a collapsible hiking pole.  Both were difficult to manage on the plane. But gear is important.
                 The Wall is at altitude, where the sun is extremely strong, so it is best to be wearing a hat. I had my ETSU cap, but the other women didn’t have anything, so purchasing hats was the first order of business.  Brittany was pleased with hers. 
           
I’m not especially fond of heights, but I do enjoy challenges, and I was determined to get to the top if I could.  The climb was tedious. Along the way, I passed Brittany and Shelley, who were more concerned with enjoying the scenery and saw no need to climb to the top.
At the top, a very nice gentleman consented to take my picture.  The way down proved to be difficult, since I was dealing with gravity as well as unstable footing.  The pathways were crowded, and at one point, a woman jostled me.  I chose to ride down on the cable car.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great job on your climb!

Renee' C. Lyons said...

So happy you made it all the way! You go, Roz!

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...