Friday, July 01, 2011

Was it the Cow’s Stomach?


After an excursion along a beautiful stretch of Weihai’s coastline, we met up with my Chinese “granchild’s” parents for a lunch at a local hot pot restaurant where meat is cut into very fine slices, placed in seasoned hot water, and cooked at individual tables.



As some of you know, I sample any food offered, and cow stomach was on the menu.




Part way through the meal, I exited from the table having been overcome with a malady I shall tactfully call the Traveler’s Trots.  Unfortunately, this restaurant did not have a Western toilet, so I had to use the Chinese version of the commode, which is nothing more than a porcelain hole in the floor.  I made quite a mess.
I experienced multiple calls of nature all last night and into the morning.  Armed with my Lonely Planet phrase book, I visited a Chinese pharmacy.
Personnel understood me. But there was the matter of reading directions. Fortunately, a Chinese student with excellent English was able to translate.  The medicine, which is quite effective tastes like lotus root.  I have never heard of anyone’s using it for this affliction, but of course this is China.



No comments:

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...