Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Appalachian Trail















Though I've lived here nearly nine years, I'd never been on the Appalachian trail, so I was very pleased when my friend and graduate assistant, Scott Mcilqhuan, organized a mini-expedition for the benefit of the Zhou family who return to Jinan shortly. Scott, who is Canadian, has traveled very extensively and has a knack for sniffing out interesting spots. 

The excursion gave me an opportunity to practice my Chinese, at which I make plodding progress. I have progressed from making courtesy phrases such as "Hello" and "Thank you"  to making such profound statements as "Here is a green tree" and "My backpack is in your car."

Above: The Zhou family in a self-developed hiking uniform.

Below: Scott and Professor Zhou study a map

No comments:

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...