Saturday, June 12, 2010

The right stuff

It happens on every trip. Two weeks into our stay here, I've contracted a malady I shall describe as Travelers' Trots. Joe, lucky guy, never gets it. The US Center for Disease Control estimates this condition affects anywhere from 25 to 50 per cent of all travelers. Travelers to Asia are particularly prone to the problem.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/travelersdiarrhea_g.htm

I'm hoping to address the situation discretely. I don't want to tell our Chinese hosts-- they would blame themselves. Besides, they think I am terribly old to be making a trip of this kind, and they'd get very worried. The CDC website attributes the condition to contaminated food or drinking water. But since Chinese visitors to America become similarly ill, and our food and water supply are quite safe, I wonder if Traveler's Trots could result from unfamiliar diet.

I'm going to try the tea and rice cure, and if that doesn't work, I'll try out my emergent Chinese at one of the pharmacies nearby. I've been looking around on the Internet. The medicine in the green bottle is likely the right stuff...




















No comments:

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...