Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A number of things




The school year is busy, and in the summers we travel. Often I fail to make time to see the sights around here. Yesterday, I went to the Biltmore Estates in Asheville for the first time. Still owned by the Vanderbilt family, the estate is now operated as a non-profit corporation. The 250 room mansion is filled with Asian and European art and picturesquely situated on 125,000 acres of North Carolina real estate. The palaces of Chinese emperors were modest by comparison. Despite what I think of the way George Vanderbilt and other Golden Age robber barrons treated their workers, I was impressed.
The gardens are particularly enchanting. The excursion put me in mind of these lines fro A Child's Garden of Verses:

The world is so full of a number of things
I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings.

-- Robert Louis Stevenson

Above: Flowers at Biltmore Estates





2 comments:

quig said...

The Biltmore Estate is lovely indeed.

cctai@etsu said...

Hi Roz,

This is a nice blog. I am very happy to know you have been doing blogging for a while.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...