Thursday, May 28, 2009

Life's minor problems

The staff of the international office is very solicitous about helping us deal with minor catastrophes. But I don't like bothering them-- they've looked tired ever since the quarantine nightmare.

So when our toilet went on strike a few days ago, I decided to deal with it myself. Unfortunately, the term "plunger" was not in the pocket translator we carry around with us, so I looked it up online.
Here's what I found:

plunger ['plʌnʤɚ] ['plʌnʤə]
1. 名词 跳进(水中等)的人;跳水人;潜水者
2. 名词 (弄通堵塞管道用的)揣子
3. 名词 [机械] 活塞;柱塞;撞针杆
4. 名词 [口语] 鲁莽的人;(尤指)滥赌的赌徒;不顾一切的投机家

Your computer may not have the software for decoding Chinese, so if you're interested, you can follow the link to what I saw:

http://www.nciku.cn/search/en/detail/plunger/73308

I had no idea how to pronounce these words, nor which of them was applicable. So I found a picture (above) and took it with me to the campus store. The sales people laughed when they realized what I wanted, but they said, "Mei yao" i.e. "Don't have." Before we could arrange an excursion off campus, the toilet spontaneously recovered from its malaise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you were smart to find the picture!! min

Bo said...

Don't trust a toilet that spontaneously recovers.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...