Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Customs


































Tomorrow, Joe and I leave for Beijing, our fifth trip to China. Joe and I will be teaching in Beijing; I've a lecture to do in Weihai, and some student supervision in Nanjing. We're hoping to do some language study and a bit of sightseeing as well. So, I resume this blog, which deals for the most part with cultural contrasts.

This past weekend, we were in Cincinnati, where our granddaughter, daughter and son-in-law live. There, we attended our granddaughter's christening at St. Monica-St. George Catholic church, my son-in-law's family parish (above). Predictably, the ancient ceremony was a little different from what we're used to, and I suppose it would be for anyone who didn't know what to expect.

As world travellers, Joe and I have learned to be silent and deferential when observing unfamiliar ceremonies. Children feel much more free to make comments.

"Weird!" exclaimed Julian, my son-in-law's 5 yr. old nephew (shown below), when the priest made the sign of the cross on the foreheads of each baby being baptized. He is quite articulate for a person his remark fully audible.

His 3 yr. old sister also speaks clearly. "He's splashing the water," she remarked, in obvious disapproval, as Father Al conducted the ceremony.

First Above: The baptisms-- four this particular Sunday. Lillian Pauline, our granddaughter is on the far right.

Second Above: Lilly in her bassinette.

Below: Julian and his sister Zoe.

2 comments:

Ruth W. said...

So glad your back to blogging again..

Mommy said...

Have fun in China!

Valerie Hendrix

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...