Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Year that Was












When I think back over the year, personal happenings are intertwined with collective events . Here is my personal list of things that went on in 2008, listed in the order I think of them, which is not to be confused with the order of their importance:
Joe and I became grandparents (see previous entry).
I turned 60 and celebrated with my 87 year old great aunt in New Jersey (below) and later with my son Michael in Philadelphia.
Barack Obama was elected president.
I received tenure.
I was promoted to associate professor.
There was a horrific earthquake in China.
Ben received his Master's degree
ETSU had lots of budget cuts.
I returned to China where Joe and I helped with Olympic training.
Joe turned 65, and we had a big party.
We celebrated Autumn Festival with Chinese International Students at ETSU
The economy tanked.
The war continued.
I finally wrote and submitted my article on how the Chinese teach reading.
I had Chinese software installed on both my computers.


It's nearly 2009. Happy New Year to all!

3 comments:

Ruth W. said...

Roz...after months of clicking on your blog and of course enjoying the picture of your son Ben, I was delightfully surprise to see that YOUR BACK!!!

Happy Birthday my friend.

Roz Raymond Gann said...

You're welcome, Ruth. Hope to be back for good.

Bo said...

Of all the years we've spent on this Earth, 2008 was surely one of them.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...