Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Suspicious photography
Sometimes, we can hear NPR. On a recent broadcast, they said the US Homeland Security people were encouraging citizens to report suspicious activities, such as persons taking photographs of objects and scenes lacking in interest or aesthetic value. But how can you determine what items are of interest? Lots of the things I photograph, the locals view as mundane.















The mop salesman (above) wondered why I wanted the picture of his bicycle; and today when we visited a rural school, people were mildly amused that I kept photographing rice paddies (below). I grew up in New York City, and no one grows rice there; nor do they grow it in Cincinnati or East Tennessee. To me, it was fascinating. Foreigners see a place differently from long term residents. So do artists. Last summer, when teachers from China visited ETSU, they snapped pictures of things the Kroger parking lot. I hope we don't start viewing such activity as possible terrorism. And I hope nobody bothers me for taking pictures of rice paddies.

2 comments:

quig said...

you could take a picture of Joe, that would get you in really hot water!!!

Bo said...

Keep the pictures coming. My students will love them. Hope, though, that you won't be put away as a subversive for taking them.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...