Friday, May 23, 2008

Matters of economy





















I don’t think I’m imagining it. Seems like each time I get on an airplane, the seats get closer together. It’s a cost saving measure, no doubt, but it seems a little extreme. Now, as part of the preflight video, they demonstrated how passengers may exercise in flight by rotating the neck. Wasn’t my neck that was bothering me. It was my knees. There’s an Edgar Allen Poe story where the prisoner’s cell gets smaller each day and the walls eventually close in upon the protagonist. If I didn’t know better, I’d suspect that story was written following a tourist class flight. The airlines don’t pack passengers as tightly as the masters of slave ships used to (see below), but in my grimmer moments I consider things may be moving in that direction.

Above: "Floor plan" of a slave ship. Those little lines represent people.
Anyone remember the name of that Poe story?

No comments:

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...