Saturday, May 17, 2008

Both Sides, Now















It's two years since my first trip to China, and on Wednesday, I leave for Nanjing once more. China has just now sustained a devastating earthquake, though not any where near the region to which I am travelling. But I think it's having a major impact on everyone.
Learning to live on both sides of the globe is interesting, if a little disorienting. For Prof. Guo Tao's birthday (above), we made up a cake with both English and Chinese writing. We sang the Happy Birthday song in Chinese. I first met Tao in March of 2007 in Beijing and got to know him better this year, during his time as a visiting scholar.
Li Hongmei (below) is also a visiting scholar. We've been going for walks together this spring. When I see her next, it will be in Beijing.

3 comments:

Ruth W. said...

I'm sure it must feel like going home when you visit China now. Hope you journey will be safe and very enjoyable for you.

Keep us posted on your doings please.

Roz Raymond Gann said...

Yes it does. Odd living on two sides of the world.

Roz Raymond Gann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...