Friday, January 18, 2008

Literacy online






























There was a snowstorm the night before last, and ETSU's day classes were cancelled. But we were open in the evening, and that's when I teach. As a Northerner, I am comfortable with winter driving, I didn't think my students would be particularly enthusiastic about driving home afterward on mountain roads in the dark and cold, so we held class online.

I've always liked the idea of online instruction because it affords education to those who would not otherwise have access. But my own experiences with online teaching have been negative; it seems so impersonal. Yesterday, though, I had a lot of time to devote to preparation, and I made a discovery: online instruction when augmented with visuals permits a different kind of communication. As I sat at my computer, I felt I was welcoming the students into my world. It was kind of like blogging.

3 comments:

quig said...

Hey, Happy blogging and on-line classing!!!!! Cheers, John

nbta said...

I'm sure your students appreciated not having to drive to class! You probably saved a few lives by keeping them off the road.

BTW...noticed the dictionary in the picture. It's a lot easier using "spell check" on your computer!

Clint said...

I have always wondered about teaching an on-line class. I would love to hear more specifics about how you prepare.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...