Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Karaoke















The climax of last weekend's Christmas was a party at the International Center's Karaoke Bar. A number of nationalities and dialect regions were represented. We were presented with a huge booklet listing popular and traditional songs in Korean, Chinese, and English. Complemented by videos and occasional strobe lights, we took turns singing to the recorded tunes (above).
When I participate in activities such as this, my children are deeply ashamed of me. However, since Ben, Mike, Emily and Steve were 16,000 miles away, I could participate with impunity. My rendition of "Blowing in the Wind" (don't laugh!) was particularly appreciated by the audience, which included the General Secretary of the local Communist Party. For my efforts, I was presented with a bouquet of artificial flowers (below).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roz,
It sure sounds like you have been having lots of fun lately. I wish I could have been there for "Blowing in the Wind"
Dennis

Anonymous said...

Yah, me too....

Unknown said...

FUN!!!!! You must have blown them away (haha:):) I don't understand why family members get so ashamed of one another. My brother is constantly ashamed of me no matter what I do. Perhaps it is because he is not the attention seeker that I am.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...