Monday, December 04, 2006

Awesome Sea
















Rereading my last entry, I note at least three serious English errors. Funny thing-- they sound like errors my students make. I must be acquiring the dialect (or interlanguage) some people call "Chinglish."

I know it's still autumn, but it feels like winter here. America has the Gulf Stream; Weihai has the Siberian current. The wind is fierce. More than in the summer, one is aware that the university is at the tip of a penninsula. This city is called Weihai, and its name means awesome sea.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The economist's would say Cachinglish..... Get home... But the dog... Peace, John

Anonymous said...

Okay, I meant buy the dog, not but the dog... crap, I am doing it too....

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...