Thursday, October 05, 2006

Vacation!















I have a week off for the national holiday. Joe and I took the opportunity to visit Xian, a city in central China famous for its history and artifacts. Thirty years ago archaeologists discovered a large group of terra cotta warriors dating from the Qing Dynasty-- 200 B.C. Turned out there were over 3000 of these things. The soldiers stand about seven feet tall. They were created to guard the emperor in the after life, and were placed near his tomb. Above: a group of soldiers.
Below: Joe poses with a replica of a soldier.

2 comments:

quig said...

With God on your side, you do not need a terra cotta warrier....now or in the after life...

Ruth W. said...

I have heard of the terra cotta warrier in China. I agree with what John said, but I'm sure I was pretty cool to see something that old.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...