Friday, May 26, 2006

Green tea














Today, I visited my Chinese teacher and his roommate, also an exchange professor. They served me a delicious green tea. Now, if you read the web, there are all sorts of arcane practices associated with the preparation of Chinese tea. See for example Chinese tea 101. http://chineseteas101.com/brewingmethod.htm I don't know how many Chinese people engage in these rituals. My friends prepare tea quickly and matter-of-factly by getting the water very hot and adding a spoon of dried green tea. They don't fool with strainers and teabags. The expanded leaves rest in the cup's bottom when you finish. Simple and delicious.

The Chinese have been consuming tea for perhaps 5000 years, while the West has known about tea for fewer than 400. Maybe we ought to try doing it their way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...